Day One Hundred and Ten

Today I played some more with Chris Rainier's ((space echo)) from yesterday, adding more and more echo to the sample as I went. The same applies to a recording of an empty can of chips (yep I'm prepared to eat a whole can of chips for my art...)

I've been thinking, reading, and writing a bit about the discipline involved in this project - the committing to doing something every day element. It hasn't been a struggle for me to commit to this project, even though it sometimes takes up a lot of physical time and mental energy. Yet I wouldn't say I'm a particularly disciplined person. But if pressed, I have to admit that there are certain things I'm very committed to: being vegan, being an artist, caring for my loved ones, for my cat... Yet nothing, not even the slowly expiring membership, can get me to the gym more than once a month at the moment, and the huge pile of books sitting patiently and ominously on my desk groans with each new addition that I also 'don't have time' to look at.

What I'm trying to say, I think, is it's about priorities. I want to be a better artist, a better musician and a better composer. So I've committed to spending every day for a whole year taking a really good look at my process, and practicing my art in a very formalised way.

Perhaps when all the recordings are done and all the chips have been eaten I'll start an exercise blog. Maybe.

Comments

Popular Posts