Five by Momentum Project

Day Five

To the rain from yesterday I have added layers of a couple of small, tuned gongs. Each note repeats at different intervals, and the shifting and phasing between the different length parts mean that a small melody evolves, changing with each repeat.

I enjoy simplicity, in art, and when I am making music. Nothing I create is very complex, and the digital processing I apply to acoustic sounds generally occurs in small increments. I like putting things in place, processes that will evolve gradually over time, and manipulating sounds in such a way that the original is still discernible.

Robin Fox recently discussed this idea in an interview about his Giant Theremin installation in Melbourne. Fox, an audio-visual performance artist, described "the relationship between sound and light" in his work as "really simple, it's really one to one, there's no complexity there ... if the technology can't create a simple and beautiful experience then I think you're getting stuck in the process."

Thanks Robin... I couldn't have said it better myself.

Comments

Popular Posts